Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Replacing reality


Within my apartment complex, church building, workplace and classrooms, I have found people who need me. I have cheered souls. I have impacted lives. 
But I have also overlooked real people to engage with the internet. Though valuable interactions occur via the internet, these interactions fall short when used as the primary source of companionship. Cyberspace interactions are designed to mimic reality; that doesn't inherently make them real. As Elder Bednar said, "A simulation or model can lead to spiritual impairment and danger if the fidelity is high and the purposes are bad." So be careful. Don't allow those around you to go ignored because your cyber relationships are more important to you. Cyberspace is a supplement to relationships, not a replacement.

1 comment:

  1. Supplement, not replacement. I like that! Kind of like how multi-vitamin tablets are supplements to healthy eating, not a replacement for it. :)

    ReplyDelete